Here’s a 2-for-1 recipe deal!
There’s just something about a good roux that makes me a very happy lady. Mix a roux with bacon, and I’m even happier! I also am a huge fan of dill weed. I put that s#!@ on everything.
D took a bite of this and said, “This tastes just like that Dominos thing!”
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Bake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Points +: 8
WPA Simply Filling: 2
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 slices reduced sodium bacon, cooked and diced (I’m all about cooking mine in the toaster oven)
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ranch seasoning (recipe below!)
- 1 c fat free milk
- 1 c reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in boiling salted water; drain, pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish and keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, no longer pink, and slightly browned.
- Sprinkle the flour and ranch dressing seasoning over the chicken, stirring to coat evenly. Pour in the milk and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer for several minutes.
- Add half the cheddar cheese and half of the bacon, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta in the baking dish, mixing thoroughly. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and bacon over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
Whisk together ingredients and place in an airtight container. 3 Tbsp is equal to 1 ranch packet.
Mix with nonfat Greek yogurt and use as a dip!
Mix with nonfat Greek yogurt and use skim milk to thin enough to use as a salad dressing!
Sprinkle over sauteeing chicken for ranch flavor in wraps without the calories or preservatives of ranch dressing!
Seriously. I use this (or at least dill weed) on EVERYTHING.