I’ve had spinach on the brain lately (in addition to my ongoing Mexican kick), and when I got to thinking about what I had around the house, a frittata seemed like a fast, easy, and excellently delicious dinner.
You know, if there was one thing that could have made this dish better, it would be bacon. I didn’t want to stop anywhere on my way home from work, so I made due without it, but I highly suggest you add a strip or two of cooked and crumbled bacon! For the love of all things holy, add bacon!
Spinach and Cheddar Frittata
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Points +: 7
WPA Simply Filling: 2 (unless you’ve already met your daily oil requirement)
- 8 large eggs
- ¾ c fat-free milk
- 4 Tbsp whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 oz frozen spinach
- ¼ c diced onion
- ½ c shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and 2 Tbsp of bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and onions and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Stir in ½ tsp of salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Add the egg mixture and cheese to the skillet, stirring to combine. Top with the remaining 2 Tbsp bread crumbs.
- Transfer the skillet to the prepared oven. Bake until the frittata is set and the top is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Cut into wedges and enjoy!