In my job, the first 5 business days of the month are hectic, to say the least. Today was day 4, and when I got home, all I wanted to do was take a nap. BUT, D and I both needed to eat some dinner. I wracked my brain for something fast and easy that wasn’t just a plain chicken breast on the grill with some side of frozen vegetables, but since it’s Friday, we’re running pretty low on supplies until I go shopping this weekend. I went to Pinterest for inspiration, but everything remotely appetizing required something we didn’t have (so much for my well-stocked pantry!).
Then, the clouds parted and angels sang, the whole nine yards. I swear I get my best ideas when I have next to nothing in the house. I served it on whole wheat sandwich thins with carrots and broccoli on the side. D took one bite of this and said, “This is INCREDIBLE!” It’s not exactly healthy, but it was relatively low on points, quick, easy, and really delicious. Come on, it got the manly man stamp of approval!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Salad
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Points +: 4
WPA Simply Filling: 2
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breast, shredded or cubed
- ½ package (4 oz) reduced fat (Neufchatel) cream cheese, softened
- 3.5 oz Cabot 75% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 oz diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Add the cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, and seasonings. Stir in the chicken and mix until combined.
Note: You could easily use a rotisserie chicken for this, but I poached a pound of boneless skinless breasts while I was letting the cream cheese soften a bit. If you choose to poach the breasts, you can cube them or shred them. I just mixed everything together in my KitchenAid and threw the chicken in last to let the KitchenAid do all the shred work.