One month down! It’s been a good month, and an excellent start to my journey. Check out my weight tracker here.
This month, I was mainly focused on just getting started, getting into a groove, and staying on track. Since I’ve hit the 30-day mark (which is historically the point where I take a fantastic dive right off the wagon), I’ve been thinking about goals, both short-term and long-term. That’s material for my next post!
- Starting Weight: 353.4 lbs
- Last Week: 328.2 lbs
- Current Week: 324.4 lbs
- This week’s change: -3.8 lbs
- Change overall: -29.0 lbs
29 pounds in 31 days! I couldn’t ask for anything more than that. I was hoping for 15-20.
What do I think are the major contributing factors?
- No soda or booze: I did have 2 diet sodas this month, but that was it. I’ve never been a soda-holic, though I do enjoy spiced rums quite a bit. I told myself that I wouldn’t have any booze for at least the first 30 days because not only is rum high in calories, but I also drink it with diet soda, and it always leads to late-night greasy food binges.
- Water, water, water: I drink like a million ounces of water a day. Instead of sitting on the couch in the evenings and mindlessly eating, I drink water, and lots of it!
- No fast food or eating out on a regular basis: I had a Chipotle burrito bowl once, and I chose my ingredients solely from the Simply Filling Power Foods list.
- Limited processed foods and snacks: I cooked every day, and I packed my lunch every day. I chose fresh meats, fruits, veggies, and whole grains for my meals. I did not eat crackers or chips or 100-calorie packs of anything (except non-fat Greek yogurt!).
- If I was hungry, I ate, and I allowed myself indulgences: This goes back to the limited processed foods. While they are processed, I bought frozen Greek yogurt bars (Yoplait Honey-Caramel are a house favorite!) or “skinny” ice creams. I didn’t eat them every day, but if I wanted something to munch on, I grabbed one. I also keep popcorn in the house to help with snack-ish cravings.
- No obsessing: I didn’t obsess over every little thing I ate, and I didn’t obsess over the scale (except this past Saturday when I broke my once-a-week-scaling rule J). It’s easy to get caught up in the numbers. Simply Filling was great for this because I wasn’t counting every little thing I put in my mouth, especially because I’m a binge-eater/food addict. I’m learning to pay attention to my hunger signals, and I’m not eating just because I have points I need to use. I don’t know if you’ve ever looked, but at my weight, Weight Watchers gives you like a 49 PointsPlus daily allowance. I would like to know how I am supposed to eat whole and healthy foods (all fruits and vegetables are worth 0 PP!) and consistently hit 49 points per day.
- Planning: I know I’ve touched on this several times, but I coupon over the weekends, and I also try to cook 2-3 meals on Sunday that will last throughout the week. With D and I on opposite schedules, that always guarantees that there’s something for him to eat, too. When I do cook during the week, I always make enough that I can take leftovers for my lunch at work the next day.
What are the secrets to your weight loss success?