I’ve been on a big Mexican kick lately. Since I can’t afford to eat at Chipotle every day (I can dream, can’t I?), I found the star of this post over at LaaLoosh. It’s an adaptation from this Weight Watchers recipe, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Next time, I think I will also use the kidney beans and chili peppers from the WW version. Maybe I’ll substitute 2 cans of original Rotel for 1 of the 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes. D and I both agreed that more spice was required, so we’ve been adding Tabasco to it for now. Either way, it’s a very tasty dish! Lots of options, very simple, one stockpot! I’ve made crockpot recipes that are more complicated than this one.
All ingredients are from the WW Power Foods list, which makes this variation that much better. I also stirred a little plain nonfat Greek yogurt into mine when I had leftovers for lunch today 😉
**I also added a cup or two of water to make this more “soupy,” but this was totally due to personal preference.**
- 1lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 28oz cans diced, roasted tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 15oz can pinto beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 packet ranch seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup fat free sharp cheddar, shredded
- Spray a large pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray or an olive oil mister, and set over medium high heat. Add in ground turkey and broth, and cook until turkey is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in garlic and onion, and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Stir in ranch seasoning, taco seasoning, tomatoes, corn, and beans, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- Spoon into 6 serving bowls, and top each bowl with cheese, while soup is still hot.
- Serve with optional toppings such as: sour cream, lime wedge, diced red onions, fresh cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips).
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 2/3 cups
Each serving = 7 Points +
PER SERVING: 349 calories; 4g fat; 35g carbohydrates; 30g protein; 9g fiber